Tuesday 7 August 2007

ARTIST OF THE WEEK - GRAHAM CARTER

Graham Carter

Printmaker & Illustrator


1 One favourite living artist
?
David Shrigley. He probably shouldn’t be as successful as he is considering
his work is akin to sketchbook doodling. But he is consistently coming up with
visual gags that I wish I’d thought of first.....


2 When and where did you first want to do what you do?
I was about 7 or 8 years old when I forced my mother to drive me to the
shops where I had seen a spray-painted Garfield on the wall. I sat and copied it,
then started up a (rip-off) Garfield comic . From that I began making up my own cartoons/characters, then I went to art college......and have blagged it ever since!

3 Do you work best on your own or in collaboration ?
Definitely work better on my own, as I usually feel restricted and under more pressure
In a group environment. There’s a little too much compromise on ideas working with other people. Unless somebody employs you to ‘do your thing’ and doesn’t interfere ,
Which was more or less the case when I worked in a team with Graham-Rawle for an installation
For EXPO 2000 in Germany.

4 Last best read ?
Bill Hicks Autobiography. I love the idea of anykind of creative genius -
Be it in art, music , film, comedy or whatever. Comic genius especially inspires me,
And humour is a big part of my work

5 How do you set about starting a new project ?
by sitting down with my sketchbook and scribbling ideas. I find it helps to be
In a different environment. That may be a coffee shop or park or on a train etc
Anywhere away from the studio/home. I usually just wait for a visual idea to form
In my head, then sketch out some compositions. Then I’ll start adding to it on the
Computer before printing

6 Where and what is your studio?
Have been working from a studio for a year at New England House, but just moved
To a larger space at Beaconsfield Studios where I share a space with friends.
Listen to our collective itunes usually and occasional radio comedy shows.

7 What is your favourite website?
Couldn’t really pick one – but here are a few. I just appreciate people with a strong vision/identity
Like Allan Sanders’ Loopland or Pete Fowlers’ Monsterism and associated vinyl toys/prints.
And you can’t go wrong with the quality of animation at studioaka.
Gallery Nucleus California


8 Do you have a good work/life balance? Are you able to switch off from art work?
When I worked from home I couldn’t really switch off at all – but thankfully now,
being in a shared studio it’s much easier. However , I am constantly thinking about
upcoming shows that I have to do work for – and in that sense I never completely switch
off until the exhibition is over.....
9 Do you think art and craft has any real importance?
I like to think that if you have the ability to cheer somebody up/make someone’s day, then the work does have an important function (considering the state of the world today etc). That seems to be the driving force of my work currently – making people smile (and part with money)

10 Can anything be 'art'?
If somekind of craft ,skill or intention has gone into it’s making/choosing, then I guess it can. This debate will go on forever because of personal tastes, but I’m highly skeptical about a lot of ‘modern art’ that just seems to be striving to be ‘different’ for the sake of being different. I’m old fashioned that way -
I like to see evidence of talent......



Graham Carter has been a printmaker and illustrator for almost 10 years, bringing his own style of wit and humour to the public. Following on from a degree in illustration at Brighton, Graham studied at a post graduate level at Central St.Martins, London. In 1998 Graham became one of the founding members of the critically acclaimed London based Peepshow illustration collective. From very early on in his career this gave him the opportunity to work for clients such as the BBC, Diesel Jeans, on Graham Rawle’s Expo 2000 installation, and exhibit in shows throughout the UK & Europe.

Since 1999 Graham has primarily been working for editorial and advertising companies in a very different style to his recent silkscreen and giclee editions. This somewhat more ‘cartoon’ like approach has attracted clients such as Bupa, Orange, Saatchi & Saatchi, Visa and Monster.co.uk.

The Silkscreen/Giclee portfolio is where Graham’s true passion lies. Some of the subject matter comes from children’s stories; others are developed thumbnail –sketched ideas, purely based on character, composition and colour which he slowly builds on, using found imagery/textures as well to create the visually exciting images displayed online and in respected art galleries (Art Republic / Ink-D) today.

Graham is currently living and working in Brighton, and recently won the Visual Arts Prize 2007 as part of the Brighton Fringe festival.


1 comment:

J Taylor said...

How fortunate that I was "persuaded" to drive Graham to the shop with the Garfield picture all those years ago. I am grateful to that cat.............