Thursday 8 May 2008

Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Hammersmith Apollo




This is the face I see as I look up from my computer and this is the face I've seen pretty regularly on a stage over the past 15 years. He was the main focus of my husband's attention when we met and has slowly become a substantial part of my attention. I've been surrounded by his music and cajoled into seeing him live on so many occasions I've lost track. From Brixton to Belgium, Hastings to Hammersmith I've joined the throngs of fans who love this man for his wild and weird ways, his lryical beauty and belting sounds.

So it was that again we were in London to see Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds perform the latest album Dig Lazarus Dig! We were reticent. Grinderman, his collaboration with just a few of the Bad Seeds did nothing for us and this latest album is also lacking the Nick Cave of old. But the man was on outrageous form, playing songs new and old, careering around the stage index finger outstretched casting that menacing shadow on the side walls of the venue that I shall forever associate with his gigs. He has mellowed; being far more interactive with the crowd, making gags, hurling abuse (unprintable abuse) and clearly enjoying his suggestive dance moves! Yes he's still great. I'm sure we'll be seeing his face again soon on another stage!

No comments: