Monday 21 September 2009

Artist of the Week - Russell Jones / Creative Future


Russell Jones is exhibiting his work with Creative Future at the Brighton Art Fair, 2009.



One favourite living artist? Why?

HR Giger - because he's original, mad, totally off his head


One favourite historical artist? Why?
Max Ernst because he loved his paintings and worked very hard

When and where did you first want to do what you do?
I was aged 7 at the time of the '69 moon landing. This made me want to draw astronauts.



What place in the world has inspired you?
Berlin because I feel safe there and because of it's atmosphere.

Do you work best on your own or in collaboration?
I work best on my own

At age 15 who influenced your style?
No one in particular

How much do you bend your 'vision' to suit the marketplace - if at all?
Not at all

Who would you say buys your work?
Interested people

How do you set about starting a new project?
Sometimes I draw a sketch but mostly I just throw myself in.




Where and what is your studio?
My bedsit

Do you have a good work/life balance?
I can't answer that.

What one word would describe your feeling of doing your work?
Committed

Would you rather be doing something else?
No



Are their other fields that you'd like to apply some facet of your work into?
Ceramics

If you could exhibit in any gallery which would it be?
The Tate Modern

Most overrated artist/maker?
Damien Hurst

Where do the majority of your inspiration / ideas come from?
The unconscious and dreams



Where did you train? Favourite / least favourite aspects of training?
I trained in Swansea. My whole time there was my favourite but least so was being humiliated by the tutor

Please list any exhibitions you have had in the past 12 months.
UNLEASHED, Brighton Media Centre, July 09 - solo
TIGHT MODERN, Brighton Fringe, May 09 - group
WEST SUSSEX EXPO III, New Crawley Library, March 09 - group
DREAMS ON THE EDGE (NEXT TO THE VAN), Brighton's White Night Festival, Oct 08 - group


No comments: