Tuesday 29 June 2010

Artist of the Week - Jane Ford




Jane Ford works from her studio in Kent. Her latest series of works have been semi-abstract reflections of New York city as mirrored in its glass skyscrapers.

Where did you train? What did training teach you and what do you wish it had taught you?
I trained at Newcastle-under-Lyme School of Art Staffordshire in the very early '70's when Art Schools were Art Schools. It gave me discipline and a comprehensive knowledge of techniques and how to use 'the tools of the trade' to my advantage . It could have taught me flexability, I learnt that through experience.

When and where did you first want to do what you do?
I was about 5 when I first wanted to paint. My uncle was the head designer for Spode Pottery and in his spare time painted for pleasure, he allowed me to have a go.

One favourite living artist?
Lucien Freud. Love his technique.



One favourite historical artist?
John Singer-Sargeant. The man could do anything, in any media, with any subject.

Where do you get most of your inspiration from?
Travel mainly especially in The Big Apple Dreaming Series. Faces and how they relate to 16th century faces in the Ombra della Maschere series and a dead Stoat in the wildlife series.........poor thing found in the road was so lovely.



What is the most interesting / fun job you have had.
The only job I have ever had has been my painting, either as a designer in the first twenty years of my career or as a painter in the latter years.

Do you work mostly on your own? Have you had any interesting work related collaborations?
I always work alone, although for Big Apple my husband did all the photography for reference, he goes to New York a lot.

At age 18 who most influenced your style?
At 18 Edward Burn-Jones...........pre Raphealites were the in thing then.

How much do you bend your 'vision' to suit the marketplace - if at all?
I never bend to the market, I have been lucky that the market has liked my work. There have been a few blips and the series that hasn't quite been popular has been dropped.

Who would you say buys your work?
All sorts of people buy my work mainly those with an eye for quirky.

Where and what is your studio?
My studio is custom made and sits in the garden surrounded by orchards, sheep and horses, lucky eh!



Do you have a good work/life balance?
Lately work has dominated life and is increasingly so.

What one word would describe your feeling of doing your work?
Existance

If you could be doing anything else what would it be?
Dont think I want to do anything else.........maybe a wildlife vet.

If you could exhibit in any gallery in the world which would it be?
The National Portrait Gallery, The Guggenhiem Venice, The Met New York.



Please list any exhibitions you have had in the past 12 months.
The Opus Gallery, Ashbourne, Pilgrims Artists Lenham.
The Royal Society of British Artists, London.
The Untitled Art Fair, Chelsea.
The Gould Gallery, Sandwich.
The Galleria San Maurizio, Venice.

Coming up..
The Blackheath Gallery, London.
Brighton Art Fair
The Affordable Art Fair 2011

1 comment:

Dan Ayling said...

I have seen Jane's work over several years at a local exhibition held anually at Lenham in Kent. It's held at a great setting in an old barn and exhibits local artist's works with a great diversity. Jane has always been a strong exhibitor and in my opinion her works always stand out....for the right reasons! I'm already looking forward to next year.