Saturday 6 November 2010

Maker of the Week - Paul Johnson - BLOQ



Paul Johnson of contemporary furniture company Bloq will be bringing the range to MADE10 .

One favourite living craft maker
Pachadesign based in Devon / Cornwall. They re-use materials from the local area and transform them into beautiful pieces. They use a clever mix of oak and slate.

What was the last art/craft/design thing you purchased?
Last thing purchased was a hat by Karen Henriksen.

At age 18 who influenced your style? Was there any individual who very much helped you on your way?
I was always influenced by Lego which is evident in my work. My main DT teacher, Mr Thompson, made me think outside the box.



What’s currently on your i-pod, cd player, tape recorder?
The Gaslight Anthem and Arcade Fire

Where and what is your studio?
I have a workshop in Surrey and a showroom in Putney, London

What is your favourite (art) website?
Don't have one that comes to mind


Surprising activity/hobby?
Mad and bad tennis player, about 4 times a week, weather permitting

Do you have a good work/life balance? Are you able to switch off from art work?
I have a good balance that fits with me. I work 7 days a week and it never really gets me down. I'm not able to switch off as my work is my life. Sad isn't it.


What one word would describe your feeling of doing your work?
Freedom

Do you think art and craft has any real importance?
Definitely, the world would be a very boring uneventful place without it.



No comments: