Wednesday 13 July 2011

Featured Artist - Mark Allin

Mark Allin uses his love of strong graphic styles added with a desire to twist traditional techniques in his artwork. Mark will be exhibiting at the Brighton Art Fair in September.




Where did you train? What did training teach you and what do you wish it had taught you?
I studied graphic design at Loughborough College of Art & Design and later at Northbrook College, Worthing. I went to college just at the crossover between the teaching of traditional graphics and the onset of computer technology. I'm very grateful to have been at college during this period as it is very useful to understand the mechanicals behind print rather than just a button on the screen. In college I would have liked to study moving image but in my career I ended up running an animation company so I covered that off in the end. Two years ago I managed to get my hands dirty and branch out, so I took a course in screenprinting. I really enjoyed it and now have 24 hour studio access at InkSpot Press in Brighton.

When and where did you first want to do what you do?
I knew from around 12 years that I wanted to do something to do with graphic design. It was always a choice between art or music and I never thought I'd make it as a musician. I have always expanded my artistic side whilst at work but it was not until recently that I launched myself as an artist.

One favourite living artist?
It's difficult to name just one, as there are many great artists out there. I get a lot of inspiration from animation and motion graphics design, so therefore I'd say Universal Everything, run under the wise guidance of Matt Pyke.

One favourite historical artist?

Saul Bass. A major influence for me when I was younger and motivated me to get into graphics and moving image.

Where do you get most of your inspiration from?
Having owned an animation company for many years, animation and post production techniques have always been a major steer in my artistic life. I really like learning new techniques and pushing forward my own skillet.

What is the most interesting / fun job you have had?
Aside from the fun of working once in a playdoh factory, I've really got into working out how to create 3D anaglyph images. It's great to see the reaction of people when they put the glasses on and the images leap out of the frame.



Have you had any interesting work related collaborations?
I did a short film recently with a Brighton based photographer and it's been nominated for several awards which is pretty interesting.

At age 16 who most influenced your style?
Seems like a while ago now… but Saul Bass as mentioned above.

Last book / film that blew your mind?
It's not a very recent film but I say Monsters Inc. Having been around animation for so long, the complications & innovation involved in making this movie for me are mind blowing.

What music are you currently listening to?
U.N.K.L.E. I do have a habit of listening to the same album over and over again whilst I'm working on a particular piece of art. Once the piece is done I don't tend to listen to it again.

Who would you say buys your work?
I originally thought it would be someone similar to me, but I have been proved wrong on many occasions, so the answer is anyone who likes it.




Where and what is your studio?
I'm fortunate enough to have a studio dedicated just for my artwork at home. For screenprinting I'm lucky enough to be a keyholder at InkSpot Press which is a great friendly & creative environment to be in.

Do you have a good work/life balance?
I'm happy with my life. I have great friends and family, make pretty pictures and ride motorbikes. What else do I need?

What one word would describe your feeling of doing your work?
Detail

If you could be doing anything else what would it be?
A musician.

If you could exhibit in any gallery in the world which would it be?
The Saatchi gallery would be great one day….

2 comments:

Carmen said...

Great prints!!!

Marina said...

Great prints Mark...your humbug one is my favourite!