Friday 7 September 2012

Maker of the Week - Emma Turpin


Emma Turpin makes contemporary silver jewellery inspired by the Victorian era, sometimes with elements of gold plating and oxidistion. She will be exhibiting her work at MADE LONDON in October.
 
 
Where did you train? What did training teach you and what do you wish it had taught you?
I graduated from Middlesex University in 2005, with a BAHons in Jewellery. My course mainly concentrated on design and fashion accessories.  We were given the opportunity to work in alternative materials and I mainly concentrated on paper and this is where my ‘Maidens Garlands’ collection started.    

One favourite living designer?
I have always really admired the work of Philip Treacy, hat designer. He creates beautiful sculptural head pieces with a wow factor.


One favourite historical designer?
Much of my work is inspired by the bye gone era and I draw inspiration from many historical periods from the Victorian era to the Medieval period.    
What is the most interesting / fun job you have had?
Being a designer maker, brings something new everyday and I’m always learning something new.
What is your most prized item of design / craft?
On a recent trip to New York I bought a Chinese hand cut paper picture, which I can stare at for hours, the skill it must take to cut such an intricate design.

What item of design / craft do you covet most?
I really like Michael Berger’s rings. Something I would love to treat myself to one day.  
At age 16 who most influenced your style?
My art teacher encouraged me a great deal when I was 16 and leaving school to go and study 3Dimensional design.

Last book / film that blew your mind?
I recently read the Woman in Black by Susan Hill, before I saw the film. Both of which I thoroughly enjoyed. I did however prefer the book as I could let my imagination run wild and create my vision of the characters adding to the suspense and mystery. 

What music are you currently listening to?
I have a very eclectic choice of music and enjoy many different styles. I recently listened to Paul Simon.    

How many hours do you waste on the internet each day?
I waste far too many hours on the internet, either checking my mail or looking for things and get carried away.    

If you could live anywhere, where would it be and why?
I would love to eventually live by the coast, I find it really relaxing and I love the smell of the sea.    

 


Where and what is your studio?
I currently work in a studio owned by another designer maker in Hertfordshire. Which is nice as its not a lonely place.    

Do you have a good work/life balance?
I think I have a good work/life balance but there never seems to be enough time for both. 

What one word would describe your feeling of doing your work?
Satisfying. 

No comments: