Monday 17 December 2012

Maker of the Week - Suet Yi Yip

Suet Yi Yip is a ceramicist based in Nottingham. She produces work with a simplistic charm.


Where did you train? What did training teach you and what do you wish it had taught you?
I trained at Nottingham Trent University. I learnt the use of different materials including wood, glass, clay, metal and resin in a degree course called Decorative Arts. If there is something I wish the uni had taught me, it would be the EQ I need to deal with art as a business. Is it something inherited or something we can learn? I dunno.

Is being a designer / maker your only job?
Yes, it is my only job at the moment. Before this, I worked in Hong Kong as an Art tutor (part-time) for 4 years, a shipping clerk for 1.5 years, a secretary for 5 months and an English teacher for 1.5 years. It’s a lovely blend of life experience more than work experience to me.

One favourite living designer?
Laura Baxter. Her work has warmth, which I don’t usually feel with other jewellery.


What is the most interesting / fun job you have had?
The work placement for Katrin Moye. It made what I like and who I am today. 

What item of design / craft do you covet most?
Shoes from Belle & Sofa in Japan. It’s not easy to find comfortable and beautiful shoes but Belle & Sofa has done a great job. Their shoes have characters through which people can see the greatness of craftsmanship. I’ve got a pair of casual shoes, now saving up to get another pair from them.

At age 16 who most influenced your style?
Nobody. It’s a dark age for me. I was lost in realistic-style watercolour paintings over that period of time. 

Last book / film that blew your mind?
'The Way Home', a Korean movie, is always on my mind.  

What music are you currently listening to?
Yiruma’s piano music.

If you could live anywhere, where would it be and why?
Somewhere close to hills and flowers, with a little barn house and my studio. It would only be in my dream.

Where and what is your studio?
It’s a home-based pottery studio in Nottingham.


Do you have a good work/life balance?
I think so.

What one word would describe your feeling of doing your work?
Real


No comments: