Friday 8 February 2013

Maker of the Week - Sophie Marsham


Sophie Marsham produces mixed-media sculptures, made from reclaimed, found objects.She will be exhibiting her work at the Palace Art and Craft Fair in May. 
 



At what age did you know you wanted to become an artist / maker?
I knew at 21 that a career in art was for me so I went then to the Chelsea Art School for 5 year completing a BA (hons) in Public Art and Design, in 1993.

Is being a an artist / designer your only job?

Being a sculptor is my only job, I have had my own company for 20 years, this year.

If you could be anything else what would you be?

If I could be anything else, it would be a set designer for film.




One favourite living artist? 
Elke Harras, the german lighting sculptor, as her work is both innovative and breathtakingly beautiful.

One favourite historical artist?

Da Vinci, who was so massively ahead of his time and incredibly multi talented in different disciplines.

Who / what has had most influence on your work?

Nature has had the most influence on my work as I have an obsession with the tiniest most beautiful detail, only found in nature.
 


What is the most interesting / fun job you have had?
I worked for the artist Gerry Judah, when I was 19. I was his studio assistant, but every week was a new challenge, with new materials/scale/usage. He was the key person in my life who set me on the road to an art career.

What is your most prized item of art?

A blue and black charcoal Anish Kapoor drawing which was given to me when my third child was born.

What item of art do you covet most?

Probably the unfurling bridge by Thomas Heatherwick, it would be perfect to get me from my house to the studio in my garden.
 


Last book / film that blew your mind?
Last film that blew my mind was 'Untouchable' with Omar Si, absolutely loved it.

What are you listening to? 
The new I Am Kloot album, 'Let it all in' which I love.

 How many hours do you waste on the internet each day? 

I waste very little time on the internet as my hours are very precious, especially now I've weened myself off 'Templerun'

If you could live anywhere, where would it be? 

NYC where really special friends live.


Where and what is your studio?

My studio is in my garden, a large purpose built, heated shed with lots of windows.

Three words that describe your feeling of doing your work? 

Challenging, fulfilling and exciting.

Chips or mash?

Mash (with leeks!)








































No comments: