Wednesday 13 March 2013

Artist of the Week - Celia Wilkinson

Celia Wilkinson creates semi-abstract/expressionist landscapes from her studio on the Isle of Wight. Celia will be exhibiting at the Palace Art and Craft Fair.


At what age did you know you wanted to become an artist? I was 19. I was doing a History of Design degree in Brighton and really missed the practical side of art so I left and worked for a couple of years and built up a portfolio and was accepted at Central School of Art to do a foundation course. Then went on to St Martins for my degree.

Is being an artist your only job? 
Being a painter is my full time job.


If you could be anything else what would you be?
A musician
One favourite living artist / designer? David Hockney. Not because I love his work but I admire his approach and the passion he has for his art.

One favourite historical artist / designer?
Picasso. Because he never stopped exploring ideas and pushing boundaries.
Who / what has had most influence on your work?Too many to mention but Patrick Heron has been a more recent influence.

What is the most interesting / fun job you have had?
What I do now. Painting, because that is when I am at my happiest.

 



What is your most prized item of art / design / craft?
A painting my mother did when we lived in Ireland. Its beautiful.

What item of design / craft do you covet most?
An Elizabeth Frink sculpture

Last book / film that blew your mind?

A book called ‘A Fine Balance’ by Rohinton Mistry.

What are you listening to?

Rolling Stones


How many hours do you waste on the internet each day?
I don’t

If you could live anywhere, where would it be and why?
I would like to live in Berlin, it’s a great city for artists, it’s beautiful, relaxed and the transport is great.

Where and what is your studio?

My studio is in a barn in my field just outside Niton, Isle of Wight.


Three words that describe your feeling of doing your work? 
Happy as Larry

Chips or mash?
Chips with steak, mash with bangers




No comments: