Wednesday 8 May 2013

Maker of the Week - Alex Allpress


Alex Allpress is a ceramicist producing earthenware and stoneware sculptural and innovative 'kitchenalia'.  He will be showing his work at the Palace Art and Craft Fair.

At what age did you know you wanted to become an artist / maker?
18 - I did ceramics at school, but I applied to Chelsea Art School, as I wanted to always go there: but Camberwell was where I belonged with ceramics as my first subject. But as soon as I went to Camberwell for my Foundation I loved it and knew what I wanted to do and that is where I met my wife too. Ee now have 3 kids together and that was in 1995.
Is being a an artist / designer your only job?
YES it is now, I have just had twins and my time is shared between teaching pottery, making work, showing and looking after twins. It's an insane life!

If you could be anything else what would you be?

Architect



One favourite living artist / designer?
Hélène Lathoumetie - her work is just amazing, delicate, perfect.
One favourite historical artist / designer?
Henry Moore - I love looking at his sculptures, the size and public art. I think good art should be everywhere for everybody.

Who / what has had most influence on your work?
Lucie Rie / Hans Coper

What is the most interesting / fun job you have had?

Working at Manta Ray a set building company - we did the MTV music awards
and designer Paul Smith's windows in Covent Garden. It taught me a lot about presentation.



What is your most prized item of art / design / craft? 
Our Hélène Lathoumetie tea bowl. We wanted to buy a teapot and more but maybe next time. We saw her work at Art in Clay and she won the exhibitors award that year as her entire stand was stunning!
Also Goulds Pottery if you don't know their stuff you should really look it up: the stunning Catherine Gould died tragically this month - she was amazing. After travelling when I came home and had loads of ideas and hadn't thrown for ages, she re-taught me loads of cool stuff on her wheel: she and her husband Bruce Gould are an inspiration and we miss her.
Also a print done by my wife while she was working in Barcelona - I love it and she's not allowed to sell it - it's in our bedroom. It's great being married to another artist.
What item of design / craft do you covet most?
The potter wheel
Last book / film that blew your mind?
Searching for Sugar Man. Great music who knew? Now we all do.

What are you listening to?
Rodriguez

How many hours do you waste on the internet each day?
Too many. An hour or 2  - sad isn't it!

If you could live anywhere, where would it be and why?Thailand - South, maybe Koh Chang - love the sun, beach, food, life style. Make work, have the kids be free and swim everyday. Feed the fish, go scuba diving have a sailing boat!



Where and what is your studio?
Newbridge on Wye in the heart of Mid Wales, an area known as The Marches. Full of Hills and valleys. Our house is right on the Wye, our kids play on the stony beach all year round -
it's spectacular!

Three words that describe your feeling of doing your work?
AWAY from the kids, peaceful, happy

Chips or mash?
Chips with ketchup!



No comments: