Saturday 4 May 2013

Maker of the Week - Corrinne Eira Evans



Corrinne Eira Evans makes contemporary jewellery inspired by Victorian botanical prints. She will be showing her work at the Palace Art and Craft Fair.
At what age did you know you wanted to become an artist / maker?   Ooooo I seriously don't recall deciding, I just knew from an early age there was no other interest or passion for me. I knew I wanted to be a contemporary jeweller at secondary school I had a fabulous and enthusiastic teacher. I then went on to do a ND BTEC at Plymouth College in Applied Arts skipping A levels. Here I graduated with a distinction and top student of the year; I just enjoyed myself so much. I moved to Birmingham and studied at the School of jewellery a HND just after my 18th birthday and then finalized with a BA (Hons) at Falmouth in Contemporary craft. To be honest I don't think I wanted to leave studying as it was just a play ground of ideas and experimentation.

Is being an artist / designer your only job?
I have another job to keep me from going insane working by myself. I work in a small family run jewellers in York called Palenque. I love it as it keeps me within reality and love the girls that I work with.

If you could be anything else what would you be?Fashion designer, cake tester or Olympic swimmer I think



One favourite living artist / designer?
Nora Fok! I think her work is amazing. She takes a long time to create her pieces making them beautiful spectacles that you can look at for hours and from different directions they give off different qualities.

One favourite historical artist / designer?
William Morris. I know he's a classic but again attention to detail, his methods and morals of creating art are what I feel they should be. Putting all ones passion and love into each piece without monetary values attached. Resulting in amazing art works that last and fascinate for years.

Who / what has had most influence on your work?Hmm that's a tough one. I've been passionate about jewellery since forever, influences through the years that stand out have been, Peter Chang, Kandisky, Nora Fok, Cornwall country side (where I grew up) & nature/botanical prints has a huge influence of my current works.
My family was a massive influence with my dad as a droughts man and mum as a textile artist, uncles being lino printers & painters, my auntie as a jeweller and my grandparents as blacksmiths and amazing drawings and studies. So I guess I was born to it really



What is the most interesting / fun job you have had?I was a cider & apple juice maker and labeller for about 3 years in between university studies and loved it. Working in a barn and out doors with really fun summertime staff I had a whale of a time. I also got to design their apple juice packaging which ended up winning the best illustrated packaging of the year in the South West award which was amazing!

What is your most prized item of art / design / craft?
Apart from my partner Andrew Oliver, who's art work is amazing, (we have one of his crooked lamps in our hallway which I cherish), I think it has to be my Nora Fok bangle, I love it as I admire her work so much and it's a limited edition. It was also a present from my parents which just adds to its value for me.

What item of design / craft do you covet most?
It has to be jewellery!! I'm a huge magpie I have a massive jewellery collection of lovely artist’s work which I collect when I do an exhibition. From Jessica Hewitt, Barbara Macdonald & Porte-Bonheur de Woollies, to name a few.


Last book / film that blew your mind?
Film: This has to be Avatar. It was the first 3D film I saw and the graphics & colours blew my mind.
Book; Actually The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory. I'm not very good with history but love period dramas and fascinated by the social elements of history. It was so well written and extremely gripping, definitely worth the read.

What are you listening to? 
Jonny Cash!!! I love it. I think it's because my partner sings it so well, such a talented boy! I'm also into Grizzly Bear which my brother, Euan, bought me for Christmas and always a bit of Kings of Leon thrown in there.

How many hours do you waste on the internet each day?
Probably a couple of hours I expect. Flicking through Facebook, liking things and Ebay being seduced by juicy gems!

If you could live anywhere, where would it be and why? 
If teleportation was available and money was no object, I would probably live on a remote island somewhere maybe off New Zealand, lovely and warm. Teleportation would be ace; you could go for tea at your parents in England and then nip back to your remote island the next day!


Where and what is your studio?
My studio is very fortunately our spare room at home in York, North Yorkshire. It's amazing I just roll out of bed, get a coffee and get to playing with metals and gems, fantastic!

Three words that describe your feeling of doing your work?
Ecstatic, excited and fun

Chips or mash?
Ooooo chips every time! Thin & crispy!!














No comments: